Tuesday, January 1, 2013

225 pounds

It is January 1st and I am 225 pounds. It is time for change. No, that is not accurate, but it is time for something to be done about it.

10 years ago when I started playing MMO's I was a stick figure, no more than 140 pounds. Age and level grinding has fused my neck and jaw and granted me between 15 and 20 inches to my waistline.
While this is great for knocking things off of shelves and uncomfortably brushing the back of peoples heads while trying to get past them at the dinner table it serves very little practical purpose.

Most of my day is spent in front of the computer for work and for play. I drink about 4 or 5 servings of soda daily. And my diet would be called into question were my belly brought on trial for damages done to pants buttons and belt holes. There is a lot I could to to turn this trend around. Some would point to the pop and explain that it's 2000 calories daily I could just cut out of my diet. To them I say, "Fuck you! Daddy needs his juice!" So how about we start with exercise instead.

My apartment has a fantastic exercise room, but I can never find the time to get there. I don't want to go in the morning because I'm tired from staying up late playing video games. I don't want to go when I get home from work because I want to check in and see what's going on with online friends and then things snowball and even though large portions of my evenings are spent waiting around doing almost nothing I never can find that time to cut out for an hour.

Coming around to the point. Another thing I haven't had time to do is look too closely at Wildstar. This looks like a great MMO in development, but, I've been hurt before. Last time I got really excited for an MMO I sent out feelers and found tons of pod-casts and news sites and consumed and related exciting tidbits to friends. This was time consuming and accomplished very little in the long run. This time around I thought I could take this time and combine it with weight loss efforts. My goal is to be at 180 pounds by the time Wildstar Online releases. That way, if the game sucks, at least I'll be able to look back on the time we spent together with fond memories.

Currently I get winded carrying groceries up the stairs, so this is going to be  a slow process. My goal is to spend an hour doing low impact cardio while researching Wildstar, then coming back and blogging about something interesting I learned. Most of these updates will be short, a couple hundred words. Once a week I'd like to do a Vlog and talk about maybe the most salient item of the week.

As I'm sure you notice my design skills are limited and my sensibilities are very 1996. Sorry, I'm old. That is just something you'll have to put up with.

I am starting things off with, besides the background and mission statement above, two videos. The first, the teaser trailer shown at Gamescom 2011 nearly two years ago. And the second should be a video from my Youtube channel saying hello and recapping all this boring text...if I figure out how to do that.


No comments:

Post a Comment